“Memorial Album to George Gershwin” by Nathaniel Shilkret and The Victor Salon Group 1938

melvind

From DAHR:

"Recorded over NBC line" at Victor's New York Studios 1 and 2. The selection is part of a one-hour episode of the radio show, The magic key of RCA, that aired on 7/10/1938 over the NBC Blue network. The episode is a memorial concert aired on the day before the first anniversary of George Gershwin's death.

So, this album that contains ten 12 inch sides that are all live recordings and show in DAHR as take 1 in all 10 cases. It was recorded at the same time it was being broadcast on the radio. Quite a feat I think and the records are pretty great. There are only a couple of times I noticed a minor issue so it reflects well on the musicians and others involved.

“Memorial Album to George Gershwin” by Nathaniel Shilkret and The Victor Salon Group 1938

• Like 1

Neilvanstem

"Gems from" series is one I love. I have about 70 of the gems from series. If I had ever seen this album I would have had it but I never saw it. Very good. Thanks for posting this. 

• Like 1