Zilotone Clown Music box with clock works spring.

maryd

I purchased a toy Zilotone Clown at the Spring Phonograph show.  I think it has a broken spring.  I know this is not a phonograph Item, but I was wondering if anyone had worked on one of these and could give me some tips before I dive into it.   

If this subject is not allowed, I am sorry. 

Any information would be greatly appriciated

• Like 1

I have never seen one before in person.  Since it is a type of tin toy, it apparently was not meant to be disassembled.  To open the spring barrel, it will be necessary to drill out the rivets that hold it in and either replace them with new rivets or machine screws & nuts.  Machine screws would be my choice, so future repair work could  be done easily.  This is the only way to determine what the spring size should be.  Small "Riv-Nuts" (GOOGLE it) could be inserted in the holes or they could possibly be threaded to accommodate the machine screws or metal "eyelets" could be used in place of rivets.  Keep us informed of your progress.

Thank you for your help.  I was able to find the correct size metal eyelets at a hobby train store.  Most places only had large ones.  I like your idea of screw and nut.  

I will let you know if I get it working. 

Different size metal eyelets can be found at Michaels, Hobby Lobby or better yet, Amazon.  A "star" end  crimping punch works well to make a nice looking crimp.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=metaleyelets&crid=18OK14WNA4DMD&sprefix=metaleyelets%2Caps%2C93&ref=nb_sb_noss

BEFORE you take it apart, does anything move when you wind it?  If so, the spring is OK.  From your picture, you show the silver, round turntable platter, but no disc, if that moves the motor is OK.

Do you have any of the blue "record" discs or cams that are shown in the YouTube video?  These are drive discs necessary to make the mechanism work.  Without them, this becomes a non-working shelf display and I doubt that they will be easy to find, unless you are extremely lucky.  If you don't have any or can't find some, there is no point trying to take it apart - sorry. 

Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 5.02.50 PM.png

Edited by CurtA

If you have never worked on mechanical toys or are not mechanically minded, please wait before taking it apart, as novice "repairs" might destroy any value...

• 2 weeks later...