New to Me- Sparton Ensemble Model 235 (1930-31)

electrolaman

electrolaman

I pickup up this very hard to find Sparton Ensemble Model 235- Radio-Automatic Phonograph a few weeks back. The record changer is a toss-or type and very unique. There are pot metal parts in these but they are all good in the changer mechanism. The turntable though is very warped and I am having a replacement made out of aluminum. Bronson Bach already modeled a .step file for me to take to a machinist.  I have already changed out the power capacitors and cleaned and lubed the changer. The Magnavox speak leather surround was completely gone , so I replaced it with new leather. The pickup was of Western Electric manufacture and I replaced the rubber damper in it. The fidelity and power of the Sparton line of radio and phonographs is quite something.

I also own an early Model 99 (1928) and the Model 101 (1929). Same electronics in those but very different record changers. I will put a video of my Model 235 in the video section of the forum.    

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4361.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

Sparton Ad 2.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

Edited by electrolaman
  • Like 6

MisterJive47

What a wonderful machine.  I second Melvin. I can't wait to see it operating.

electrolaman

There is now a video of the Sparton 235 playing in the Video section of the forum.

Carlton 

• 2 weeks later...