Early Amberola 50 recently acquired.

MisterJive47

MisterJive47

Hi all. Just yesterday I was blessed with a new purchase, sight unseen, from a friend of mine. All I knew was that he had acquired an Amberola 50 at an auction that he was able to sell to me at a fair price that satisfied both parties. I barely got a chance to look at it last night. I was surprised enough by the nickeled reproducer. Already realizing it was an early model, I pulled the grille today after work and found the builder tag. Turns out to be #2550! It also has the governor speed control at the top. Would it be safe to say that this is a 1915 model?

20240721_152352.jpg

20240721_153553.jpg

20240721_153641.jpg

• Like 1

phonogfp

Frow cites a June 1915 production schedule of 20 per day for the Amberola 50.  Since the 50 was introduced in April, it's likely that #2550 was reached before the end of 1915.

Congratulations!

George P.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MisterJive47
1 hour ago, phonogfp said:

Frow cites a June 1915b production schedule of 20 per day for the Amberola 50.  Since the 50 was introduced in April, it's likely that #2550 was reached before the end of 1915.

Congratulations!

George P.

Thank you George! Yes, it was quite exciting when I realized how early a unit this is. Thankfully,  the finish and veneer is excellent,  save for the small bit missing on the grille. It is not holding tension due to a broken winding ratchet, however it looks like CroakinFrog on eBay has one that might work. I'm hoping that the ratchet assembly design stayed the same throughout production. I know that the top works changed.