Newbie with some Reproducer questions

hesnodgrass

hesnodgrass

Hello all,

I am new to this hobby.  I worked in the film industry for over 40 years and have been collecting all things audio from film to music including early discs that were used to play back with films in the early days of film sound to wire recorders.  I and am just now getting into disc and cylinder players.  I have picked up a few nice cylinder machines, A fireside, Converted model B or C to 2-4 min, An Amberola 50 and a few others and also a few Edison and Victor disc players.  My questions mainly have to do with the sapphire and diamond stylus for the 2 or 4 min cylinders and proper use..

Here are my questions:

1 - Is there anyone who restores the Reproducers and installs new Stylus if needed?

2 - If I buy cylinders,  is there any issue if they were played on the wrong stylus before and could that then damage my stylus - meaning someone played a 4 min on a 2 min player and vice versa (anything to look for when examining cylinders)?

That's it for now and I am looking forward to participating in conversations about this hobby.

Harry

phonogfp

Hi Harry,

Welcome to the APS Forum!

1: if you're rebuilding Edison Model C/H/K Reproducers or any Graphophone cylinder reproducer, the process is pretty straightforward and parts are available - including styli.  Let us know what needs rebuilding and we'll direct you.  If you're rebuilding Edison Reproducers which use diamond styli, you need to contact Wyatt Markus:

restorationarts@gmail.com

2: Playing a 4-minute cylinder on a 2-minut machine will seldom damage the cylinder.  However, a 2-minute cylinder - especially a wax cylinder - played on a 4-minute machine will damage the record, and if the 4-minute machine uses a reproducer with a diamond stylus, the damage will occur with a single play.  If you haven't already discovered it, check out this free article on the APS website:

https://www.antiquephono.org/#/collectiondetails/16

When examining cylinder records, if the groove appears "whitish," that's a sign of excessive wear or damage from an incorrect reproducer.  After looking at just a few cylinders, you'll readily see the difference.

I hope this helps, and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

George P.

• Like 2

hesnodgrass

Thanks for the reply George.  Much appreciated.  I'll ask as questions come up.  Thanks for the link to the article.  I joined APS the other day and have been digging through the content. 

Harry

• Like 2