Morning glory horn for Edison cylinder machine.

Metalliatic

Metalliatic

I want a morning glory horn for one of my Edison machines. Shopping online I found that shipping is very high. Does anyone have one that would sell and ship reasonably?

phonogfp

Shipping large items has become notoriously expensive.  To ship "reasonably," a seller would likely be losing money  - and you don't want a seller to skimp on packing.  It's better to avoid shipping if possible.

You're going to have much better luck with this if you indicate your city and state.  There may be collectors near you who have a horn you'd like. 

Additionally, there are shows where you can choose between many horns in one place.  There are shows in Wayne New Jersey every spring and fall; in Schaumburg, Illinois every June; and in Buena Park, California every August.

George P.

Tinfoilphono

George is spot-on about shipping being expensive. All shippers, from USPS to Fedex charge "dimensional weight." This means that large packages are billed as if they are very heavy, even if they are actually lightweight. Their rationale is that even if it weighs little, it takes up a lot of space in their shipping containers and trucks and should be billed accordingly. These dimensional weights have always been high, but now they are crazy high. Unfortunately there is no way around this. Once upon a time, Greyhound offered great rates for very large packages, but that ended a while back. As far as I know, there are zero commercial options. Either you pick up in person somewhere, or you pay the going rate.

RodPickett

We have a member in Lexington, about 90 minutes away.

He has the traditional Edison horn for a Standard and Triumph.  The Triumph horns are becoming more difficult to find.

If interested I'll PM his name and phone.

RodPickett

While on the subject of shipping, USPS rates are about to rise again, across-the-board.  A first-class postage stamp will soon be .73 cents (I can remember when they were .03 cents).

For parcel shipments, I have always saved using pirateship.com.

Somehow, they are able to purchase blocks of rates from UPS and USPS.

Metalliatic

I found one. The lady had it laying in a rock garden for decoration.

• Like 2

phonogfp

That was you?  When I read about that on Facebook, I was thinking, "Too bad the guy in Kentucky didn't find that!"

Congratulations - -

George P.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1