Is there a "best" bamboo needle cutter ... and why?

xtal_01

xtal_01

So, now that I have the player working, I am interested in a bamboo needle cutter.

I found a handful of old bamboo needles in the drawer of the unit ... tried a few .. loved the sound (and I "think" they might be "easier" on the records).

So, I need a needle cutter.

I am looking a a bunch on ebay.

WOW ... $50 to $250 .. quite the range.

Some look like scissors ... some like nail clippers ... some like a guillotine  ...

Which is best and why?

Also, has anyone had good luck making needles?

I see some for sale but was wondering if you can just "cut" (or sand or plane or ??) some out of say bamboo skews?

Thanks .... Mike

Just FYI .... I did try a round bamboo tooth pick on one of the old records ... it seemed to work so why triangle?

• 4 months later...
Springmotor70
On 6/5/2024 at 11:17 AM, xtal_01 said:

Mike,

I am sorry no one has gotten around to answering this yet so here goes...

Yes, Fiber needles (bamboo) are easier on records - they were advertised as such including so that even accidental or mis-handling of the sound box would not result in a damaged reocord.

Fiber needles can also sound amazing as long as they have a good point and  you choose the right record to play with them.

Fiber needles sound great on most vocals, smaller bands with less percussion and most orchestral pieces - especially strings.  I think I can make it through all six 12" sides of Scheherazade with just repointing once.

Loud recordings or heavy percussion will wear the needle much faster, as will playing very worn records.

I have at least a dozen different sharpeners and my favorite for years is The Wade.   It is based on the frame of a single hole punch and easily fits in the palm of your hand.  There is a fixed stop, so you do not have to watch where you hold the needle through the opening.  It has a very sharp thin blade that along with the shape of the grip easily and quickly cuts off just a tiny sliver to make a new sharp point.  There were even gold-plated Wades found in the fitted and lined drawers of the Columbia Grand machines.  Keep your eyes open and you can still probably find one for $30-50.

There are new fiber needles being made but I have found that they do not have quite the same volume as the originals - either that or they are not cured enough yet.  

The reason for the triangular shape is so that they can quickly be repointed with one swift sharp cut.  A round needle such as a cactus or thorn needle which became very popular in the 30s and 40s are re-pointed on a hand-held device that rotates the needle while it is sharpened on a turning course disc.  Thorn needles are my favorite for Victors third style changer or when playing Victrolac 33rpm records with their contemporary horseshoe pick up.

Here is a helpful hint to get more life out of your fiber needles....

A new or unused needle can usually be repointed about 8 times.  You should re-point the needle once the sound becomes mushy or distorted.  As the needle gets shorter it will not last as long because the reproducer will be playing at a more acute angle causing the needle to wear more rapidly.  To avoid this, you can just not put the needle all the way into the socket (which may result in a quieter sound) OR...  raise the record.  By simply stacking a record or two under the one being played, it can allow a short needle to last longer.  This works as long the disc is not warped and can slip.

Best of Luck,

Darren

• Like 1