I’d questions

Dan

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon
I have two questions regarding the identification of these for Phonographs. I’ve looked on the Internet through the books I have I can’t find much on them.

1)- AUTOPHONE American Phonograph company, New York City, New York
This phonograph can play Edison, Pathé , Victor or any type of 78 record , by adjusting the reproducer and installing correct needle, the Edison styli is permanently attached to reproducer , there is a second needle holder on reproducer. See pictures 

2)- Mellowtone phonograph, Melophone Talking machine company, NY

Same with this one found little info on it , I found an old ad for a French made Mellowtone that looks just like it , but the I’d tag says NY. It has a Pathé concert reproducer on it now . On the tag it  says number / model -TC. The chrome parts were found inside the phonograph any help with them is appreciated See pictures 

Thanks in advance for any help. The picture uploaded backwards the first 8 photos are for the Mellowtone (#2) the rest are the Autophone (#1)

IMG_4792.jpeg

IMG_4779.jpeg

IMG_4778.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

IMG_4703.jpeg

IMG_4702.jpeg

IMG_4704.jpeg

IMG_4789.jpeg

IMG_4787.jpeg

IMG_4788.jpeg

IMG_4786.jpeg

IMG_4780.jpeg

IMG_4781.jpeg

IMG_4782.jpeg

IMG_4785.jpeg

IMG_4790.jpeg

IMG_4791.jpeg

IMG_4774.png

Edited by RodPickett
Extra photos uploaded in error were deleted

phonogfp

Dan,

One of the free articles on the APS website deals with "off-brand" machines, and happens to feature a picture of an Autophone!  There's some basic information in the alphabetical listing:
https://www.antiquephono.org/#/collectiondetails/80

More information on Autophone can be found in A World of Antique Phonographs, by Fabrizio & Paul.  There's an extensive section on Multiphone/Autophone, and on pages 109 and 110 are period company illustrations of seven different Autophone models.

George P.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, phonogfp said:

Dan,

One of the free articles on the APS website deals with "off-brand" machines, and happens to feature a picture of an Autophone!  There's some basic information in the alphabetical listing:
https://www.antiquephono.org/#/collectiondetails/80

More information on Autophone can be found in A World of Antique Phonographs, by Fabrizio & Paul.  There's an extensive section on Multiphone/Autophone, and on pages 109 and 110 are period company illustrations of seven different Autophone models.

George P.

Thanks George I saw that article earlier I can’t believe I missed the picture on the first page. Lol

Dan

any ideas on the other one?

Posted (edited)

Here in the collecting community, they'd be regarded as "off brands." Made by smaller firms to compete against Victor and Columbia to take advantage of the growing phonograph market through the 1910s. 

The Autophone was made between 1915-1917. 

(https://www.google.com/books/edition/Encyclopedia_of_Recorded_Sound/9GGTAgAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=AUTOPHONE++"american+phonograph"&pg=PT10&printsec=frontcover)

image.png.88fb535ae7e34007807c4129fcd12bca.png

The  Mellowtone was made between 1916-1918 and was an inexpensive import machine. 

image.png.f78cd101500b7e043232ab26be0a59df.png

Edited by BenL

6 minutes ago, BenL said:

Here in the collecting community, they'd be regarded as "off brands." Made by smaller firms to compete against Victor and Columbia to take advantage of the growing phonograph market, through the 1910s. 

The Autophone was made between 1915-1917. There were several "American Phonograph Companies" through the early 1900s, but the one that made yours has no relation to the earlier Edison firms.  (I wonder if it's connected to the New York company that made machines capable of playing multiple cylinders?) 

(https://www.google.com/books/edition/Encyclopedia_of_Recorded_Sound/9GGTAgAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=AUTOPHONE++"american+phonograph"&pg=PT10&printsec=frontcover)

image.png.88fb535ae7e34007807c4129fcd12bca.png

The  Mellowtone was made between 1916-1918 and was an inexpensive import machine. 

image.png.f78cd101500b7e043232ab26be0a59df.png

Thanks Ben , I like the off brands I a few different ones in my collection 

Dan