Thornward Columbia N

melvind

melvind

I recently was able to purchase this rather rare Thorward Columbia N machine. It had a very "so-so" decal that was hardly readable.

20240229_072721.thumb.jpg.6661824c1e9f5dc23e6dc357f9db1c5c.jpg

So, I called Gregg Cline and asked if he had a replacement decal for this machine. He did not, but he said if we could find a good image he could make one for me. He asked around and found a mint decal on a machine that we could use to make a new decal. It worked out and he produced a new decal for me and it looks terrific. Gregg does absolutely great work! I couldn't be happier.

20240522_140513.thumb.jpg.d9d34090d8e7d3de704802a72419f90a.jpg

Many thanks to not only Gregg, but Jerry Blais for assisting me in applying the decal. We were both kind of nervous doing it, but it was pretty easy when following Gregg's instructions. Also, I would like to thank Tim Fabrizio for allowing us to get the image from one of his machines. And, finally Wyatt Markus for taking the image that Gregg used. 

We have a great community of collectors that really are willing to help out when needed. I am very happy with the result and for all the help I received in getting this done.

• Like 6

Perfection! Out of curiosity, did you apply the new decal directly over the old one?

Tinfoilphono

Outstanding work. Looks perfect.

The Thornward came out late so it originally used an aluminum reproducer. That's a plus for you as you get to keep that much rarer gutta percha for another machine. 

Can I ask you for the serial number so I can add it to my ongoing Columbia N / Thornward database?

melvind
4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Perfection! Out of curiosity, did you apply the new decal directly over the old one?

Yes I did. I cleaned up any bumps or strange things on the old one and then put this one right over the original. Gregg made it very slightly larger than the original so no edges would show.

• Like 1

melvind
13 minutes ago, Tinfoilphono said:

. Can I ask you for the serial number so I can add it to my ongoing Columbia N / Thornward database?

The serial number is 47125.

20240523_072629.thumb.jpg.fee4ed4ab428ec2b8c658764bac931f7.jpg

Did all Thornward N's have an aluminum reproducer? Do you know which reproducer model?

• Like 1

phonogfp

Nice, Dan!  You guys did a great job applying that decal.

Rene is right - - all Thornwards used the common aluminum Eagle-type reproducer.

George P.

melvind

Thanks George and Rene. I may leave the gutapercha reproducer there for now and look for an aluminum one as time goes by. I don't have a machine right now that needs the older reproducer, but who knows what will come along.