Just thought I'd share: A little more polishing...

Chrisingramci

Chrisingramci

Hi, all;

I finished doing some polishing the other night, and thought I'd display the result. The first picture shows my Vic II pretty much as it was when I took possession. I had already polished the upper section of the elbow, but nothing else. Additional polishing has come with acquired confidence that I wouldn't damage the machine. I've now graduated to polishing the bullet brake assembly, turntable, and speed control knob. Who knows -- maybe I'll even get around to cleaning up the latch!

I'd love to hear what you all think about polishing vs respecting the patina.

Thanks!

Screenshot2024-05-09at12_32_37PM.jpeg.9530c2e66750359f221874bd0e84ab0f.jpeg

IMG_1689.jpeg

• Like 3

Jerry
Posted (edited)

Looks very nice!

As to patina versus polishing... Patina is natural aging, while what is removed by polishing, is dirt and oxidation. To my thinking, dirt & oxidation are not patina. I do tend to shy away from aggressive polishing, like using a powered buffing wheel. If I clean a cabinet, I used a good furniture cleaner, or non-pumice GOJO. To me, what you've done looks perfect. I wouldn't do one thing more.

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 3

CurtA
Posted (edited)

Patina is NOT old tobacco grime, cooking grease and dirt, not to mention rust...  you did a great job.

Edited by CurtA
  • Like 2

phonogfp

I agree with Jerry and Curt.  What you've done is respectful of the machine's age - - not the machine's dirt.

There's ongoing disagreement among collectors regarding brass horns.  Some are all-in for "patina."  Others insist on shiny, brand-new-looking brass.  Others (myself included) ignore a set dogmatic approach, and prefer the horn to be compatible to the rest of the machine.  If it's a virtually mint example, the horn should be likewise.  A well-loved, rather weathered machine doesn't need mirror-like brass.  I have polished brass horns of various degrees in my collection, with the aim of having the entire machine looking as congruous as possible.

Nice job!

George P.

• Like 4

Just my opinion, but a good restoration returns a machine to appear as a well cared for item with years of abuse and neglect removed, with normal wear from age preserved.

• Like 2

Chrisingramci

Thank you, sincerely, for your affirming comments. I did go one step further, and polished the lid latch button. But I can't imagine doing anything more, beyond simple maintenance. I've been playing records on this machine almost daily since I got it last summer, and it works beautifully. I did give myself a bit of a scare, though: when I had the turntable off, I noticed the three screws holding the motor to the lid were loose, and tightened them down. Too firmly, apparently, which I learned when I noticed the spindle would stop spinning after just a few revolutions. I backed the screws off about an eighth of a turn, and voila! It's spinning like a dervish! Thanks, again, for your supportive words. They mean a lot!

IMG_1690.thumb.jpeg.4073c448cc62114892d897cd567a711f.jpeg

Put a small rubber washer between the motorboard and motor on each screw.