Done !!!!! or really clost to it

xtal_01

xtal_01

Hey!!!!!!!!!

Well I finished my first machine!

Sounds great and I love it!

Just need a few little things (two #7 motor board screws, the lock does not work even though I have a key, leather for brake).

Here is the link to a short video I shot today.

Thanks so much for all the help and advice !!!!!!

Mike

https://tinyurl.com/yfd988y8

• Like 1

Beautiful machine, and a brilliant job of restoring it. Congratulations! 

• Like 1

phonogfp

Congratulations!  You saved a good one, and did a very nice job of it.

George P.

• Like 2

What type key do you have?  Post a pic of it.  There are several different types.

• Like 1

xtal_01
3 hours ago, CurtA said:

What type key do you have?  Post a pic of it.  There are several different types.

Hmmm  ... I didn't know there was different keys!  I was told they all the same.

I go this key a few weeks ago.

Here is a picture of the lock and key I took before putting it back into the unit.

The key "almost" works ... it just does not seem high enough in the center to move the parts in the lock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_2587.JPEG

IMG_2586.JPEG

IMG_2585.JPEG

CurtA
Posted (edited)

You have the later Victrola "V" key and since your phonograph is an earlier VTLA, you probably need a Victrola "wreath" key which has a different cut.  They are somewhat harder to find and more expensive, so you could find a later lock that fits the key you have until you can locate a wreath key...  The V key fits all later Victrolas, the wreath key doesn't.  The Victrola wreath key has a shorter shaft than a wreath  furniture key.

Victrola keys pictured below, furniture key on right.                                                                  Try contacting George Vollema - www.victroladoctor.com

Screenshot2024-05-01at2_23_02PM.png.7b9239bbb1de743fe7e8ca93a6d2f034.pngScreenshot2024-05-01at2_19_57PM.png.d9ea1a9883a01024a8e318835fccbfd1.pngScreenshot2024-05-01at2_21_24PM.png.c828bb7bb43c3bd627ff152fe5b90133.png

Edited by CurtA
  • Like 1

Henry

Just a word of warning/caution. It is well known that if the lid lock should malfunction while the lid is locked (i.e, get stuck, unable to open with key, etc.) it is impossible to open the lid non-destructively. I've started keeping the key to my VV-XI under the lid, and never locking it. While you might want to acquire the correct key for the sake of completeness, you might strongly consider never actually using it, out of regard for the risk to that beautiful L-door.  

• Like 2

xtal_01

I already bought a few parts off George (the support holding the spring drum was cracked on my unit ... he had one).

I will ask him if he has one.

I don't plan on locking it ... like you said, just to make the unit complete.

Thanks so very much for the info ... learned something new again today !!!!!

Henry
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, CurtA said:

Henry's right...

I'm showing this to my wife....

Edited by Henry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

xtal_01
On 5/1/2024 at 6:52 PM, CurtA said:

Henry's right...

Curt ... just sent you a message ... thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question, since that happened to me years ago: Have you tried the lock in both directions? Back then it didn't even occur to me that a lock might work counter-clockwise for locking and actually purchased a new lock until I figured out that everything was correct. Lesson learned 🙂

BTW: you have a beautiful machine and I wouldn't do anything about the gooseneck. The machine is over 110 years old and deserves a few small signs of aging. JMO

Andreas

mattrx

I recently obtained an unrestorable (by me) VV-130.  The carvings under and on the lid were chewed off by some unknown critter.  The motor had broken spring(s) and the cabinet was missing lower moldings and veneer.  This info is added for those who object to parting out machines, which I always try really hard not to do.  That said, I have the lock for it if you want that, the lock will work with the later keys and has some gold plating.  FYI.

Good Luck!

Matt

xtal_01
5 hours ago, alang said:

Just a quick question, since that happened to me years ago: Have you tried the lock in both directions? Back then it didn't even occur to me that a lock might work counter-clockwise for locking and actually purchased a new lock until I figured out that everything was correct. Lesson learned 🙂

BTW: you have a beautiful machine and I wouldn't do anything about the gooseneck. The machine is over 110 years old and deserves a few small signs of aging. JMO

Andreas

Hey!  Good thinking but I did try that  .... I am guessing it is an old lock that needs an end cut wreath key.  Thanks!

xtal_01
22 minutes ago, mattrx said:

I recently obtained an unrestorable (by me) VV-130.  The carvings under and on the lid were chewed off by some unknown critter.  The motor had broken spring(s) and the cabinet was missing lower moldings and veneer.  This info is added for those who object to parting out machines, which I always try really hard not to do.  That said, I have the lock for it if you want that, the lock will work with the later keys and has some gold plating.  FYI.

Good Luck!

Matt

Thanks!  I just sent you a PM with my e-mail.

Mike

mattrx

I just replied.  Thanks!  Hopefully I have something you need.

Matt