Planned Outage - Sunday 5 May - 2A - 4A, EDT - Platform Upgrade ×

Wanted: Columbia Cylinder Box Info

PhonoDon

PhonoDon

Briefly: someone had kindly responded to my inquiry on March 8, but administration of this site accidentally deleted the post and its responses, just as I was preparing to forward them to the local museum. I hope the original respondent (George Paul?) has some way of copying their informed (and appreciated!) response and pasting here in my renewed post under my new account. If not, I still have the link to the pictorial chronology (minus dates) which George provided. Thank you, George!

Here is my replacement post:

The local museum has contacted me regarding a display they are preparing which will include information regarding original 1899/1900 recordings of first nations on Columbia cylinder blanks. They had asked me for information which might lead to their acquisition of an age-appropriate cylinder box (hopefully with lid) for their display. The image they provided me will be attached to this post. One of George's comments was that he had not seen a Columbia box specifically for a recording blank. Someone else had offered good comments, but I no longer have a record of who made them. I had not made notes of the comments as I was waiting until I could compile and present them to the museum.

For those reading this who may have wished to see the chronological history of Columbia boxes, here is the link:

https://forum.antiquephono.org/topic/251-columbia-record-boxes-us-standard-size-chronology/#comment-1422

If anyone has any information about my inquiry, I would be happy to hear from you (again?).

Don Mayer

20240301133400.pdf

• 1 month later...
phonoobsession

Hi Don,

Not sure if I understood what exactly you are looking for. If the question was, if there was a Columbia box for blank cylinders, I am pretty sure that there was no. At least I haven't seen one or heard about it. And I am usually quite well informed, I guess. If Columbia ever sold blank cylinders, they probably were either sold in unlabelled boxes or in the standard Columbia boxes used at that time.

Cheers,

Helmut