How NOT To Pack Records for Shipment

phonogfp

A thread on another online forum prompted me to post something here on the topic.  We often see posts from buyers showing cracked/broken/damaged records due to improper packing by sellers.  In many of these posts, it's obvious that the buyer neglected to provide packing instructions to the seller.  As I wrote elsewhere,

"I never (emphasis on "NEVER") buy records on eBay without providing the seller with packing instructions. I know this has saved several rare records from destruction, as the sellers have occasionally thanked me, and indicated that they would have mailed the record(s) in an envelope!

"We can only do so much, but providing packing instructions is - in my opinion - our duty. It's unreasonable to expect John Q. Public to know how to pack 78s or cylinders." 

Just for fun, here are a couple of examples where - despite the sellers' failure to follow my "suggestions," the records arrived safely.

This is a rare Reed & Dawson 5-inch box with an intact cylinder record.  Fortunately, neither were damaged in shipment.  Well, let's be fair - - that single layer of bubble wrap really did the trick!  Time to buy a lottery ticket.

Shipping2.thumb.jpg.d9f8b55bd8f1cf05bb52f36ed6e0b944.jpg

Here are 11 Columbia Type C cylinder records in their boxes, which arrived just yesterday.  My heart kind of sank when I saw the size of the unopened box...  But once again, good luck smiled upon these records, and perhaps they will survive for another 125 years.  The 13 packing peanuts fell from the upper inside edge of the box as I opened it.  I am grateful to the seller for wrapping the boxes in saran wrap (which I requested) as well as the records themselves (which I did not).  I suspect that the extra wrapping aided in their survival...but I'm awfully glad no substantial weight was applied to this box!

Shipping1.thumb.jpg.9a72fc40ef57c1ba689591fb6fc64af1.jpg

As I wrote above, we can only do so much.  Sometimes luck plays a part, but I will continue to provide packing instructions whenever I buy records from eBay sellers. 

George P.

• Like 2

Tinfoilphono

George, can you share the specifics of the instructions you send?

I rarely buy records on eBay, and only occasionally at shows. I have so many... But when I do buy anything fragile online I send packing suggestions. I suspect I cover most of the same territory, but I'd be interested to see how your more experienced instructions spell things out.

As an aside, a few years ago I bought a rare antique bottle on eBay. The seller took a sheet of soft, bendable cardboard material, wrapped it around the bottle once, taped it, and plastered some stamps on it. It arrived in several hundred pieces of worthless shards in what was essentially nothing more than a manila envelope. (Yes, I was refunded, but still.)

I don't buy records very often on eBay, so I usually compose something that relates to what I'm buying.  For the 6-inch Type C cylinders, this was my message to the seller:

Hi,

If you are new to shipping cylinder records, here are a couple of tips to prevent breakage:

1) Secure each record box lid to the box with either a couple of rubber bands or saran wrap. 2) Pack the records with styrofoam peanuts or bubble wrap so that each box is cushioned from the others with no contact.

3) Make sure there's a couple of inches of peanuts/bubble wrap between the record boxes and the shipping box.

4) If at all possible, double-box the shipment. THANKS!

As you can see, the seller of the Type C cylinders did well with #1 and #2, but lost interest with #3 and #4.  This message was within 2 or 3 characters of the eBay message limit, so you can't be too chatty.

For disc records, I will - whenever possible - send this illustration posted several years ago by a kind and thoughtful collector on another forum.  If I knew his name I would acknowledge him.  

PackingRecordsInstructions.thumb.jpg.de31eab3349909c3092c4b92746368bb.jpg

George P.

• Like 1

I completely agree with what you said George.  Detailed packing instructions are an obligation of the buyer although I've been a victim more than once of a seller who completely ignored my instructions.  Anyway that's another story....

Here's how I packed two boxes of rare Diamond Discs for transatlantic shipment.

- Each disc in a paper sleeve of course

- Then a plastic liner over each sleeve.

-  Discs wrapped in bubble wrap, about 5 discs to a group, cardboard re-enforced panels between them

-  Multiple groups in inner boxes surrounded by packing peanuts, much like georges diagram above

- Inner boxes put into outer boxes, about 35 records to a box

- Outer boxes lined with hard foam insulation then filled with packing peanuts surrounding inner boxes

- Many prayers said....

When all was done, the boxes weighted just under 50 pounds each, (the weight limit for checked luggage).  The boxes travelled from Fargo, ND via God knows where to Prague, CZ.  They arrived about a week after I did.  I was petty worried but in the end all arrived safely and without a scratch.  You can see what a beating those boxes took.

There's no such thing as over packing!

Packing diamond discs.jpg

RodPickett

When I get a moment I will combine these into a single document and upload to the APS server, creating a URL that people can include with comments to sellers. 

nippers_lounge

I was fortunate enough to have at least two sellers, on eBay. Who predominantly sell 78 records, and both packed them well. Between two pieces or more of cardboard taped together placed in a fairly deep box with packing peanuts, and sealing the box with shipping tape. The only record that was damaged in shipping, was the seller who doesn’t deal with records. I did not consider contacting the seller about how to go about properly packing the record for shipping, and wound up with a broken 78. Was able to get, a full refund. He did thank me for explaining how to properly pack a record, and that the flat box, for LP’s was not a wise idea. 

I do understand your caution to alert an eBay seller, who doesn’t regularly sell 78’s. To insure the air packed properly.

Paul

14 hours ago, RodPickett said:

When I get a moment I will combine these into a single document and upload to the APS server, creating a URL that people can include with comments to sellers. 

If it's helpful Rod, you could also add this narrative on packing a large machine, in this case, a Triumph.

Oceanlinerfanatic191
On 2/3/2024 at 5:00 AM, phonogfp said:

A thread on another online forum prompted me to post something here on the topic.  We often see posts from buyers showing cracked/broken/damaged records due to improper packing by sellers.  In many of these posts, it's obvious that the buyer neglected to provide packing instructions to the seller.  As I wrote elsewhere,

"I never (emphasis on "NEVER") buy records on eBay without providing the seller with packing instructions. I know this has saved several rare records from destruction, as the sellers have occasionally thanked me, and indicated that they would have mailed the record(s) in an envelope!

"We can only do so much, but providing packing instructions is - in my opinion - our duty. It's unreasonable to expect John Q. Public to know how to pack 78s or cylinders." 

Just for fun, here are a couple of examples where - despite the sellers' failure to follow my "suggestions," the records arrived safely.

This is a rare Reed & Dawson 5-inch box with an intact cylinder record.  Fortunately, neither were damaged in shipment.  Well, let's be fair - - that single layer of bubble wrap really did the trick!  Time to buy a lottery ticket.

Shipping2.thumb.jpg.d9f8b55bd8f1cf05bb52f36ed6e0b944.jpg

Here are 11 Columbia Type C cylinder records in their boxes, which arrived just yesterday.  My heart kind of sank when I saw the size of the unopened box...  But once again, good luck smiled upon these records, and perhaps they will survive for another 125 years.  The 13 packing peanuts fell from the upper inside edge of the box as I opened it.  I am grateful to the seller for wrapping the boxes in saran wrap (which I requested) as well as the records themselves (which I did not).  I suspect that the extra wrapping aided in their survival...but I'm awfully glad no substantial weight was applied to this box!

Shipping1.thumb.jpg.9a72fc40ef57c1ba689591fb6fc64af1.jpg

As I wrote above, we can only do so much.  Sometimes luck plays a part, but I will continue to provide packing instructions whenever I buy records from eBay sellers. 

George P.

Good info