Stollwerck Chocolate phonograph.

Oceanlinerfanatic191

Oceanlinerfanatic191

Hello.

Does anyone have any info on when the Stollwerck Chocolate phonographs were made and when production ended?

Does anyone here own one?

Travis

I believe the green metal one is from 1903. There is another wood base model from 1904. Picture is my green metal model. Mine is actually an Eureka but is the same machine. The Stolwreck versions mention chocolate on the rim of the horn.

20240117_105443.jpg

• Like 2

Oceanlinerfanatic191

That green is a nice touch for it. How much do these go for? I came across one in the box for $200 bucks at the swap meet but I did not have the funds.

$200 ???  You should have borrowed the money.... they go for thousands (not sure how many thousands).

Screenshot2024-01-17at6_21_08PM.png.862555471f2deb91a4d4c999a3c1401b.png

Edited by CurtA
  • Like 1

Tinfoilphono

Here's a more detailed overview, from an article I wrote back in 2001. The Stollwerck company very generously shared copies of a lot of original materials to document the history. And I also appreciated the sample chocolate bars they sent me!

Stollwerck - ITG.pdf

• Like 2

Tinfoilphono

I haven't seen many turn up in recent years so I'm not really up to date with the market. My gut feeling was around $4,000-$5,000 for an average one. But that might be low, especially for one in great condition and with extras -- as in the auction you posted. 

Five or so years ago there was a European auction with several different models, including the very rare hand-powered version in maroon. I wish I had kept notes of the prices realized. I seem to recall they were very high.

• Like 1

Chrisingramci

I love to see this! I don't know of any hobby group that is as mutually supportive as this one.

• Like 1

Oceanlinerfanatic191

Welp Now Im depressed. $6000 is insane. The regret that I am feeling right now is out of the roof. I will go back to the swap meet this weekend and see  if it is still there. Thank you all for the info. It is very helpful for me:)

23 minutes ago, Oceanlinerfanatic191 said:

Welp Now Im depressed. $6000 is insane. The regret that I am feeling right now is out of the roof. I will go back to the swap meet this weekend and see  if it is still there. Thank you all for the info. It is very helpful for me:)

Best of luck to you! Let us know.

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Oceanlinerfanatic191 said:

Best of luck this weekend, Travis!  Let us know how you do.

If it doesn't work out, don't feel too bad - - we all have stories of "the one that got away" and we love to tell them!  No matter what happens, you'll have a good story.  But arrive at that swap meet the moment it opens!

George P.

• Like 1

Good luck. I have always been intrigued by the Stollwerck phonographs. Here’s a few pics of my Stollwerck’s.

IMG_2375.jpeg

IMG_2374.jpeg

IMG_2372.jpeg

• Like 3

Oceanlinerfanatic191
2 hours ago, Mlund said:

Good luck. I have always been intrigued by the Stollwerck phonographs. Here’s a few pics of my Stollwerck’s.

IMG_2375.jpeg

IMG_2374.jpeg

IMG_2372.jpeg

11 hours ago, phonogfp said:

Beautiful yet intriguing machines they are:) 

Oceanlinerfanatic191

Well I didn't get it. Someone bought it after I left last week. I would be pretty low but I just got my first cylinder Phonograph:)

• Like 1

Sorry to learn this, Travis, but now you have a heart-wrenching collector story for life!  Would you like to hear about how I missed out on an Amberola IB full of records - at least 30 of them Royal Purples - for only $200?  A friend of mine missed out on a Polyphone Edison Home for $250 because he didn't bother to remove the lid!  These stories don't just happen...we pay thousands of dollars for them, so savor the telling...

Seriously, we all wish you had acquired it (at least I think "we all" wish it - is the buyer here?).

So your Eagle arrived today?!  Congratulations!  If you need to disassemble it, this thread will surely help:

George P.

Oceanlinerfanatic191
17 minutes ago, phonogfp said:

Sorry to learn this, Travis, but now you have a heart-wrenching collector story for life!  Would you like to hear about how I missed out on an Amberola IB full of records - at least 30 of them Royal Purples - for only $200?  A friend of mine missed out on a Polyphone Edison Home for $250 because he didn't bother to remove the lid!  These stories don't just happen...we pay thousands of dollars for them, so savor the telling...

Seriously, we all wish you had acquired it (at least I think "we all" wish it - is the buyer here?).

So your Eagle arrived today?!  Congratulations!  If you need to disassemble it, this thread will surely help:

George P.

I would love to hear your stories. If I need any help with my Q, I will let you know.

It's a Q!  I knew that...  I had an Eagle on my mind; sorry - -

A Q is even easier to work on than an Eagle.

George P.

• Like 1