Help this 15yr old new collector find a machine...

CurtA

Oceanlinerfanatic191
On 1/9/2024 at 1:17 PM, Dan said:

Sent a pm

Did you send me the pm or CurtA?

21 minutes ago, Oceanlinerfanatic191 said:

Ah ok. Thanks.

Continue your contact with Mr Paul , I think I can help you out

• Like 1

Oceanlinerfanatic191
9 minutes ago, Dan said:

Continue your contact with Mr Paul , I think I can help you out

Wow, Ok Thank you.

2 hours ago, Oceanlinerfanatic191 said:

Wow, Ok Thank you.

Oceanliner, I responded to your inquiry at the APS website via email.  Check your spam folder.

George P.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phonogfp said:

Oceanliner, I responded to your inquiry at the APS website via email.  Check your spam folder.

George P.

Travis, 

I saw your request for cylinder record player , I think I can help you out as long it’s ok with parents/ guardians. Please be sure to check with them before we proceed. I have a Columbia Q graphophone it runs well , it ‘s missing a few parts but I have those ordered . When they arrive ,I’ll be ready to ship it to you.  You have to do some cleaning , adjustment lubrication. You will need to resource a reproducer and horn , you should be able find these here on the forum or maybe EBay.  Maybe another member will help you out with those.  (see pictures/video) So if it’s  ok  with your folks I need your address when I’m ready to ship it. If you do agree please keep us updated as to the progress with the restoration. Welcome to a great hobby

Dan Powers 

IMG_4454.jpeg

IMG_4453.jpeg

• Like 2

Travis,

That Type Q would be a great machine for you to start out on!  They're simple to maintain, easy to disassemble/reassemble, fun to watch while running, and play pretty well for what they are.  Finding a horn and reproducer is easy - especially if you don't mind reproductions, which are readily available.

Nice offer, Dan!  Good on you - -

George P.

• Like 3

Oceanlinerfanatic191
2 hours ago, Dan said:

Travis, 

I saw your request for cylinder record player , I think I can help you out as long it’s ok with parents/ guardians. Please be sure to check with them before we proceed. I have a Columbia Q graphophone it runs well , it ‘s missing a few parts but I have those ordered . When they arrive ,I’ll be ready to ship it to you.  You have to do some cleaning , adjustment lubrication. You will need to resource a reproducer and horn , you should be able find these here on the forum or maybe EBay.  Maybe another member will help you out with those.  (see pictures/video) So if it’s  ok  with your folks I need your address when I’m ready to ship it. If you do agree please keep us updated as to the progress with the restoration. Welcome to a great hobby

IMG_4455.mov 5.29 MB · 0 downloads  

Dan Powers 

IMG_4454.jpeg

IMG_4453.jpeg

Wow, Holy smokes, thank you for the offer. I am interested. The Colombia Q and Eagle models are actually my favorite phonographs:). I have checked with my folks and they have given me the ok for us to continue. My address is 1031 South Mollison ave unit E, El Cajon, California. If shipping is to much for you I will gladly cover it for you:)

Again thank you for this offer. 

Travis

Oceanlinerfanatic191
11 minutes ago, phonogfp said:

Travis,

That Type Q would be a great machine for you to start out on!  They're simple to maintain, easy to disassemble/reassemble, fun to watch while running, and play pretty well for what they are.  Finding a horn and reproducer is easy - especially if you don't mind reproductions, which are readily available.

Nice offer, Dan!  Good on you - -

George P.

Thank you for the help. I have seen this expired post on the for sale forum about two Busy Bee cylinder players for sale. I know that the Busy Bee players are basically the same as the Colombia Q besides the over sized mandrel. Would the reproducers also be the same? Because if so I will reach out to the seller and see If they would just be able to sell me the reproducer. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oceanlinerfanatic191 said:

Thank you for the help. I have seen this expired post on the for sale forum about two Busy Bee cylinder players for sale. I know that the Busy Bee players are basically the same as the Colombia Q besides the over sized mandrel. Would the reproducers also be the same? Because if so I will reach out to the seller and see If they would just be able to sell me the reproducer. 

Yes, the reproducers are the same on the Busy Bee Qs and the later Columbia Qs.  Do an eBay search for "Columbia reproducer and at the moment you'll find this:

Original:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/266571439043?hash=item3e10e55bc3:g:9NoAAOSwBD5lfzEj&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwGi5lUYafpVwgFmX%2FQFydjot5bPqiBPMbAvsS9pyMS6ZMToT4IWQHFpNrGtOxRBj2AG2jPXbhiWAJoaQAXHky6CGsvS89vRxod%2FxmXbTPHzPDaP8Vy2Z40SznFU1MjrEuuPEBnh0Vp3GC0cbIlD8ic%2BJpNqAJvj4qfpQiCGILeUYAu6%2Bq%2BK8tIhUQFJHDZBPySVXMC%2BrytIbyunWzVyB4betGcaEiZawobQzOcb3t1iJIlBkLU%2BhCIwNBH8FaY9qvw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5zujtygYw

Justin Shaub makes high-quality reproductions of the D2 Reproducer.  You can contact him at shaubja@JASAntiques.com.  I think they're about $100.

Reproduction 10" cone horns for Eagle/Q are available from Brian at:

www.thephonographshop.com

brian@thephonographshop.com

You can also contact George Vollema: http://www.victroladoctor.com/

Good luck!

George P.

Oceanlinerfanatic191
15 minutes ago, phonogfp said:

Yes, the reproducers are the same on the Busy Bee Qs and the later Columbia Qs.  Do an eBay search for "Columbia reproducer and at the moment you'll find this:

Original:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/266571439043?hash=item3e10e55bc3:g:9NoAAOSwBD5lfzEj&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwGi5lUYafpVwgFmX%2FQFydjot5bPqiBPMbAvsS9pyMS6ZMToT4IWQHFpNrGtOxRBj2AG2jPXbhiWAJoaQAXHky6CGsvS89vRxod%2FxmXbTPHzPDaP8Vy2Z40SznFU1MjrEuuPEBnh0Vp3GC0cbIlD8ic%2BJpNqAJvj4qfpQiCGILeUYAu6%2Bq%2BK8tIhUQFJHDZBPySVXMC%2BrytIbyunWzVyB4betGcaEiZawobQzOcb3t1iJIlBkLU%2BhCIwNBH8FaY9qvw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5zujtygYw

Justin Shaub makes high-quality reproductions of the D2 Reproducer.  You can contact him at shaubja@JASAntiques.com.  I think they're about $100.

Reproduction 10" cone horns for Eagle/Q are available from Brian at:

www.thephonographshop.com

brian@thephonographshop.com

You can also contact George Vollema: http://www.victroladoctor.com/

Good luck!

George P.

Thanks for clarifying. I might buy the 14 inch horn from the phonograph shop. Would that be too heavy for the reproducer?

Thanks for clarifying. 

Edited by Oceanlinerfanatic191

Travis, 

I should have this machine ready to ship hopefully tomorrow ( it’s a holiday) if not Tuesday. I’ll send tracking info when I get it.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good morning I shipped your Columbia Q this morning. Now find that reproducer ? Let us know how it goes. Good Luck

Dan

Ill PM the tracking # to you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chrisingramci

I love to see this! I know of no other hobby group so mutually supportive.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chrisingramci said:

I love to see this! I know of no other hobby group so mutually supportive.

The Model T Ford clubs are like this too. I'm aware of at least 2 occasions where fairly decent Model Ts were given to aspiring, young enthusiasts.

• Like 2