Help with identification: Is this a Columbia BN?

MisterJive47

Hi there,

A friend of mine just purchased this machine. Everything that I've been able to find points to it being a BN, but the brake rod is in a different position. Was this a rebranded product perhaps? No Columbia identifying markings.

IMG_7438.jpg

717638952.jpg

20230928_204001.jpg

• Like 1

It's a  Talkophone. Not a Columbia.

The crank, speed control, reproducer, lid latch and back bracket all say "Talkophone".

Edited by Jerry
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jerry said:

It's a  Talkophone. Not a Columbia.

The crank, speed control, reproducer, lid latch and back bracket all say "Talkophone".

Son-of-a-biscuit! I never would've thought of Talk-O-Phone! Never encountered one in the wild before. Interestingly, I just read this snippet on intertique.com. Lo-and-behold, that explains  why the cabinet matches the design and dimensions of an early BN. Columbia must've bought out the leftover cabinet parts after Victor won the lawsuit.

Screenshot_20230929-054553_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by MisterJive47

Jerry, thank you again! I was having almost no luck finding this machine online, until I found a sole example on eBay from a seller in Poland. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224945871435?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Kzfc1okmTAm&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=H_E57RWrR5y&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I never realized how obscure these rear-mount Talk-O-Phones are. Only a few on YouTube as well, but none the same model as his.

3 hours ago, MisterJive47 said:

Jerry, thank you again! I was having almost no luck finding this machine online, until I found a sole example on eBay from a seller in Poland. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224945871435?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Kzfc1okmTAm&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=H_E57RWrR5y&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I never realized how obscure these rear-mount Talk-O-Phones are. Only a few on YouTube as well, but none the same model as his.

Yer welcome! Yes, rear mount Talk-o-phones are scarce. Unfortunately, I sold my example last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Yer welcome! Yes, rear mount Talk-o-phones are scarce. Unfortunately, I sold my example last year. 

Out of curiosity, how much would you value a machine such as this in this condition then? I haven't had a chance to look at it in person, but he says that it runs. He noticed that the thumbscrew for the needle is missing. It looks to me like that part is sheared off. The top of the case has lamination problems. I can't find any market pricing other than that listing,  which I'm sure is affected heavily by the euro exchange rate.

51 minutes ago, MisterJive47 said:

Out of curiosity, how much would you value a machine such as this in this condition then? I haven't had a chance to look at it in person, but he says that it runs. He noticed that the thumbscrew for the needle is missing. It looks to me like that part is sheared off. The top of the case has lamination problems. I can't find any market pricing other than that listing,  which I'm sure is affected heavily by the euro exchange rate.

Hard to say. Maybe between $450 & $550???

• Thanks 1

Okay 👌. Thank you. That's about where we were at. I'll be able to get a better look at it tomorrow and get a clear idea. I appreciate all of the help. He bought this in a lot with a Victor IV that I'm buying from him for myself, and he was originally purchasing this with the intention of putting it at his booth at the antique mall we're at. Seeing its condition and unique rarity though, I feel that it would be better suited that he offers it through the APS classifieds so It can better reach hobbyists looking for a project or the parts for theirs.