Appendix to the Edison Gem Article in the June 2023 Issue.

Andersun

As an appendix to George Paul's article on the Edison Gem Phonograph, the Model E also had an ICS (International Correspondence Schools) variant. This variant was provided with 2 minute gearing only and a Model C reproducer. The mandrel had a larger belt pully on it as did the ICS Gem Model C. The ICS Gem Model E was governed to play 90 RPM cylinders only and could not be increased to play standard entertainment type cylinders. Included are photographs of the ICS Model E....

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

• Like 5

That's a wonderful addition to my article, Steve!  I don't recall ever seeing one of these.  Thanks for the excellent images!

George P.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from being able to spot the tell-tale signs of it being an ICS machine, are there any markings, perhaps on the lid, that identify it as such? I'm thinking of the ICS labels on Standards for example.

On 7/26/2023 at 3:42 PM, Jerry said:

Aside from being able to spot the tell-tale signs of it being an ICS machine, are there any markings, perhaps on the lid, that identify it as such? I'm thinking of the ICS labels on Standards for example.

No markings on case. The mandrel is the easiest identifier.