My favorite custom Victrola...

CurtA

I ran across this a number of years ago and then again a couple of days ago.  I thought it would be good to mention it here, in case it has not been seen by everyone.  This fits my interests on phonographs and Southern folk art...  If only the Philly Museum of Art would let it go... 

From Mr. Plummer's Wikipedia Page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Plummer) :

"The elaborate phonograph cabinet which he created is in the permanent collection of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Made for personal use, it is estimated to contain more than 300 pieces of wood. The carvings combine emblems from Southern folk art such as hands, hearts, vines and stars, with stylized versions of the Victor Talking Machine's dog mascot Nipper. It was even mentioned in his obituary."

Edited by CurtA
  • Like 1

I'm beginning to wonder whether the works inside of this creation are really VTMCo. Neither the lid stay nor the winding key resemble anything I've seen on a Victor product (leaving aside, for a moment, the auxiliary contraption next to the winding key that appears to be some kind of supplemental support for what must be a very heavy lid). You can blow up the two images on the PMA website for further detail: https://philamuseum.org/collection/object/88823.  What little you can see of the sound box doesn't say "victor" to me, either. It almost makes me want to brave the traffic and drive down to Philada., but then there's no guarantee that the object will be on display. 

Maybe the Museum is using "Victrola" as a generic  for "phonograph," like we say "Kleenex" for any tissue, regardless of brand.

I wonder, too, about the "North and Central America" designation. I thought "Central America" meant Mexico, Panama, Honduras, et al. I'm sure that the Virginians would be surprised to learn that they've been so relocated.

Nevertheless, it's quite a piece! Thanks for posting.