Reproducer restore

Dan

Good evening all I bought this reproducer to practice taking one apart and restoring it. I watched a few video read some articles etc. Everything went well, I took the ring off back and this whitish hard paste (???? )is packed around a ring/tube. Does anyone know what it is and what it is for ? See pics Thanks 

Dan

IMG_3789.jpeg

IMG_3794.jpeg

IMG_3793.jpeg

MisterJive47

Not familiar with the brand of this reproducer,  but I would figure that this was (originally) a white rubber insulator to cushion between the reproducer and the tone arm yoke. I doubt there are reproductions made for this model. You may be best suited to replace it using a short piece of soft rubber tubing of the appropriate inside and outside diameter.

8 hours ago, MisterJive47 said:

Not familiar with the brand of this reproducer,  but I would figure that this was (originally) a white rubber insulator to cushion between the reproducer and the tone arm yoke. I doubt there are reproductions made for this model. You may be best suited to replace it using a short piece of soft rubber tubing of the appropriate inside and outside diameter.

Thank you for the information,  there is no name or markings anywhere on it, upon further investigation I see a pin from the rusty tube/ring is inside a small cutout and looks like the hard white paste(??) might be holding that ring/tube in space . The white stuff is pretty hard. Everything else is cleaning up nice though. 

MisterJive47
27 minutes ago, Dan said:

Thank you for the information,  there is no name or markings anywhere on it, upon further investigation I see a pin from the rusty tube/ring is inside a small cutout and looks like the hard white paste(??) might be holding that ring/tube in space . The white stuff is pretty hard. Everything else is cleaning up nice though. 

Yes, that makes sense. Similar to how the insulator ring is in a Victor No. 2 or Orthophonic reproducer. That pin on the inside of the ring of course is for correctly angling the reproducer on the tonearm and locking it into position.

1 minute ago, MisterJive47 said:

Yes, that makes sense. Similar to how the insulator ring is in a Victor No. 2 or Orthophonic reproducer. That pin on the inside of the ring of course is for correctly angling the reproducer on the tonearm and locking it into position.

Thank you again , I’m learning a lot asking questions on this forum, I’m just starting with this hobby and enjoying it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MisterJive47

You're welcome! It's a learning curve, like anything. The more you tinker with these, the more you'll learn! 🪛😁🔧

One thing to remember:  these don't require rocket science to work on, almost any repair can be done by yourself if you can use common tools.  Watch the videos first before attempting repairs or disassembly.

Here is some good info on rebuilding a reproducer...  There are many more regarding specific brands, but the good thing is that they are all the same principle and use the same parts.  Parts and supplies are available from Brian Parlier at The Phonograph Shop.

https://thephonographshop.com/

Video tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl5F9vIlOhk

Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 4.53.03 PM.png

Edited by CurtA

5 hours ago, CurtA said:

One thing to remember:  these don't require rocket science to work on, almost any repair can be done by yourself if you can use common tools.  Watch the videos first before attempting repairs or disassembly.

Here is some good info on rebuilding a reproducer...  There are many more regarding specific brands, but the good thing is that they are all the same principle and use the same parts.  Parts and supplies are available from Brian Parlier at The Phonograph Shop.

https://thephonographshop.com/

Video tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl5F9vIlOhk

Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 4.53.03 PM.png

Thank you I have found  a lot of info in APS library and online . I’ve gained a lot of knowledge from members here in the APS in  last year when  I started this hobby I’ve always been into vinyl, but last year when I bought a VV-100 and restored it I was hooked. 

• Like 2