Carola Metal portable

Neilvanstem

Neilvanstem

Wondering if we need a forum called portables? Any way I got this all metal (heavy) Carola portable. Did not do much with it then finally I decided it needed a needle cup and new handle so got them. The handle was made by a local (Chicago) shoe maker and he did the riveting too. The machine plays nice and well even with old sound box. and elbow (looks glued together). Without further adieu here it is. 

carryola and box (5).JPG

carryola too parts (1).JPG

carryola handle.JPG

carryola too parts (2).JPG

carryola too parts (3).JPG

carryola too parts (4).JPG

carryola too parts (5).JPG

carryola too parts (6).JPG

carryola too parts (7).JPG

carryola too parts (8).JPG

carryola too parts (9).JPG

carryola.JPG

Neilvanstem
57 minutes ago, Mainspring said:

That is just the upright model cut off to allow for a motor. I have the upright. weird little portable though.

Not totally understanding your comment. It is a separately made unit like the upright sounds more right. Nothing was cut off it was made like this. 

14 hours ago, Neilvanstem said:

Not totally understanding your comment. It is a separately made unit like the upright sounds more right. Nothing was cut off it was made like this. 

Neil, sorry I was not clear. What I meant is that your portable looks like their little upright model but they cut off the record storage area below the motor, sealed it and added the clasp. Not saying yours was cut off, just looking at it from a design perspective.

Unusual portable.   Hard to see from your photos (dark) but it appears that the front is deeper than the cabinet style, as the cabinets have a door for the storage area in the front.

Would be interested if anyone has seen any advertising for the portable Carola?  Not surprising they made a portable version as the cabinet advertising was targeted towards young adults, not children.

Bruce

Carola Ad pg1.JPG

Carola Ad  pg2.JPG

• Like 1

Neilvanstem

I just looked and found a 1923 ad for it though sound box looks different. This was sold on eBay I believe. 

carola-portable-phonograph-cleveland-ohio-oh-antique-record-player-ad_402150634976.jpg

• 3 months later...

I ran across this post and it reminded of one I have.  I do not know if I misspelled it in my listings.  I have a little oak Cirola I believe.  I will try to get it out as it is in a bad place .  The arm and reproducer stored in a side drawer and I believe it played vertical and lateral  records.   Probably not related.   Tom

• Like 1