Union Trip 2020

Oregonian

Yes, there are a few of us making the annual trek to Union this year.  In previous years, with fellow phono nerds Dan and Stan, we've had a Union travel blog about our fun adventures.  This year is a little different so let me explain....  For the past several years I started snooping around Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for possible treasures.  This year was no different.   I located and purchased seven old Schwinn bicycles (Yes, I know this is a phono forum) and a "haunted" Edison Amberola.  In addition I've sold and promised delivery to quite a few phono items to several collectors.  But this year turned out to be much different with the dreaded virus.  This resulted in the temporary closure of our nation's national treasures like Mount Rushmore and Devil's Tower.  I suspect even the lesser known ones like Stan's favorite, the world's biggest ball of twine in Caulker City, KS, are closed. Plus, the antique shops closed during the national shutdown.  So there was no logical reason for my traveling companions to join me.  The trip really lost its luster when I said I'd be spending my nights in KOA campgrounds in the back of my cargo trailer.  The only exciting moment was driving through Montana in a snow storm.  I was in a group of smaller vehicles fallowing a semi that was making a path through the snow in the slow lane.  I was in four wheel drive and we were traveling at a safe but modest speed when another truck pulling three trailers (yes three!) decided to pass everyone.  The fast lane was 4" of undisturbed white slush.  I can't describe the pure terror of quite a few seconds of blind driving as that truck passed while my wipers tried to clear my windshield.  

Oregonian (Jerry Blais)

Auxetophone

It's a bummer that things are cancelled, but on the bright side - you got to get out of the house for a few days!

I'd like to hear about this haunted Amberola....

Well, I would love to be on a trip with you and Stan again for sure. I miss those trips and you being on a truncated version makes me feel a bit stir crazy. But, I would not have enjoyed sleeping in your cargo trailer. I admire your tenacity and drive for following through with all the pickups and deliveries that were scheduled. Many people appreciate your efforts. And I look forward to next year with hopefully much better circumstances when I can once again join you and Stan on a trip across the country for phonographs.

Jerry, here are a couple of pics from our 2017 trip just to make you feel more at ease.

50610475_2017-06-1516_31_06.thumb.jpg.12f38e678d89a874af69025836b8ca81.jpg

725215506_2017-06-1414_01_54.thumb.jpg.a7f434b19cc62f81f91edf8bdc7835ce.jpg  

295867976_2017-06-0620_27_02.thumb.jpg.ae4c640c7adbeec9ee7eb29be9d88e7b.jpg

Edited by melvind

Jerry,

When are you coming through Portland?    Aren't you supposed to pick me up???    I though we were going to see the Ball of Twine again???

Stan (In Portland)