Show Us Your Dealer Tags!

Auxetophone

2 minutes ago, Valecnik said:

Fran, regarding your Hungarian gramophone with dealer tag, you might find it interesting to know that I've actually been to Esztergom.    It's a city with a long history going back to Roman times.  I wonder how that machine made it to you?  

Hi Bruce, that's interesting and I should put some effort into researching the city.

I bought it from Wyatt Markus several years ago for my wife. Where and how he had acquired it, I don't know. Sharon's paternal great-great grandparents were from Poland, and we've a few Columbia (green label) Polish and Hungarian records that made it to us from her parent's estate - although any real connection to the Gramophone is imagined by us. We fell in love with the horn, and when we took a closer look at the case, we had to have it. It's unique to any other European Gramophones I've seen through my study of advertising. Karl Lindstroem contacted me many years ago after he noticed I had posted photos of it on one of the FB antique phono groups, with the explanation that his father's (grandfather's?) company sold the motors and horns throughout Europe in the teens - and specifically the "Union" motor. I've seen only one or two others in photos. Somewhere I saved his notes.

It's a fascinating story, but if only I knew it's journey to the states...

Cheers,

Fran

Here are a few more that haven’t been posted.... I am particularly fond of the Hawthorn and Sheble  bedplate tag!

gregg 

8FC6F6A0-FA11-4E5F-8D0B-AF93813A9D34.jpeg

30F82ED4-05FA-42C0-94AB-F16FFBE6AB25.jpeg

826653E5-F4A8-4AC1-8C23-9BE9B3004679.jpeg

639904E1-365F-45F7-884B-71853D0E9F42.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2021 at 4:33 PM, Fran604g said:

Hi Bruce, that's interesting and I should put some effort into researching the city.

I bought it from Wyatt Markus several years ago for my wife. Where and how he had acquired it, I don't know. Sharon's paternal great-great grandparents were from Poland, and we've a few Columbia (green label) Polish and Hungarian records that made it to us from her parent's estate - although any real connection to the Gramophone is imagined by us. We fell in love with the horn, and when we took a closer look at the case, we had to have it. It's unique to any other European Gramophones I've seen through my study of advertising. Karl Lindstroem contacted me many years ago after he noticed I had posted photos of it on one of the FB antique phono groups, with the explanation that his father's (grandfather's?) company sold the motors and horns throughout Europe in the teens - and specifically the "Union" motor. I've seen only one or two others in photos. Somewhere I saved his notes.

It's a fascinating story, but if only I knew it's journey to the states...

Cheers,

Fran

I guess the Holland Brothers wanted to avoid any doubt regarding who was the dealer for this Class M given that they felt the need to put two tags about six inches apart.  It also has a tag which makes clear that the machine is sold for use only in "Canada and the provinces of British North America" in addition to the Norh American Phonograph Co. tag.

ClassM508_1edited.thumb.jpg.8478c742dc59a2261c49db9066b96490.jpgClassM508_7.thumb.jpg.b30ec33c6900981ef21233aeab200651.jpgClassM508_6.thumb.jpg.b84db8f48b760bed3e10802e2c94b3c3.jpg

Class M 508_5.jpg

• Like 1

"Jake Graham for Gramophones" was a lot more subtle than the Holland Bros. in Ottawa.  The dealer tag on this Opera sold in Liverpool is pretty inconspicuous.

D82E1C77-7AA5-48D8-B458-C0CF77098980.thumb.jpeg.01589dc034199eba57347c01b45d9adf.jpeg609BEDDF-4995-4B28-A841-5DA54960312B.thumb.jpeg.529ccb0c9156817b81f5845995270655.jpeg

Edited by Valecnik
  • Like 1

This Bacigalupi tag turns up from time to time.  Seems Bacigalupi liked to put his name on everything.

EdisonConcert5174-01.thumb.jpg.958284aa6b617193495e401792ca6b42.jpg

Edison Concert 5174 - 03.jpg

• Like 1

A couple of my collection favorites...1) a Rare Victor V with a The Talking Machine Co. decal 2) an Edison Gem E with an ETM celluloid tag 3) the bottom of one of my Bacigalupi machines (an Edison Square Top Standard) and 4) my Hawthorn & Sheble Model B.

20230402_173920.jpg

Gem Model E - 108.jpg

Edison Standard Polyphone - 10.jpg

H&S Eagle - 01.jpg

• Like 1

This 2-year-old thread was apparently forgotten (at least by me) and nicely resurrected.  Thanks to everyone who has posted!  Meanwhile, a similar thread was recently begun, so it should be noted as well:

I was fortunate enough to locate 3 different artifacts with "Spear & Co." markings, so I tried to shoot groupings to show them together.  The location of the "Spear" tag on the Eagle Graphophone proved problematic, as did the same tag mounted under the handle of the record case.  I'm not satisfied with any of these images, but together they show everything!

EagleSpeargrouping.thumb.JPG.24f9b9a206c98b63eb1a0df77aed49ce.JPG

EagleSpeargrouping3.thumb.JPG.e3878ffd7922a271c49e42f9a3df4a6c.JPG

EagleSpeargrouping4.thumb.JPG.e38107c7aaef43c4d3fa6154c6271b04.JPG

• Like 1

Nice dealer tags for sure, George. I love how the Eagle not only has the metal tag, but also the decal from the store superimposed over the original Columbia decal. And, your pictures aren't bad at all.

Thanks Dan.  Next time I'm shooting something else, maybe I'll have a brain wave for the perfect arrangement...🤔

Here are some pictures of my gold plated Johnson C.  The pictures really don't show the gold plating well.  It is from the Sherman Clay and Company dealer in San Fransisco.  It was very dirty when I got it.  It came from a heavy smoker's house and he said he got it in the late 60's.  When I started to clean it up, I originally thought the parts were brass but a magnet sticks to them.  I doubted the originality of it at first.  I posted pictures of it on another Forum.  Two members replied about it.  One mentioned that Sherman Clay and Co. were well known for custom ordering whatever a customer wanted.  Another replied that he was restoring one just like it.  For some reason, the reproducer isn't gold plated.  So there are at least two of these known.  

DSCN0114.JPG

DSCN0117.JPG

DSCN0115.JPG

• Like 1